Saturday, February 24, 2007

My Snow Bunnies

I have no pics of this, but wanted to tell about our 1st ski adventure of the season. We went skiing as a fam last weekend here at the West Point ski slope. It was Haley's second time (first time was in the Alps, poor girl) and Jake's first! Jake wasn't too sure about it before getting his skis on, but was a natural! The boy has got balance! I'm sure it helps that his center of gravity is so low to the ground. He got off to an amazing start, then burned out quickly - attention span. I took him and the sled over to an adjacent hill on the golf course to do some sledding. We, of course, had to go all the way to the top right to the treeline. We had 3 good rides before sledding got old. We went to the lodge for some hot cocoa and cheese sticks. His friend was in there watching Aladdin, so we thawed out for a while. Meanwhile on the slope, Haley had a slow start and was getting frustrated with all the falling and trying to navigate the tow rope. But by the time Jake and I headed back out for more skiing, she was whizzing up the hill and shooshing down like a pro! Mom and Dad switched off staying with the kids while going up on the lift for one run down. Lessons learned: don't buy lift tickets if you're going to spend the whole day on the bunny hill and buy used equipment instead of renting for 4 every time! We're looking forward to going again soon.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Sounds like lots of fun! My kids were asking to go back to Germany this winter because they miss the snow so much. Last year was the first time skiing for myself and both of the kids. J. was a natural, too. It was a little more challenging for A., and I had issues of my own. Maybe we'll be able to make it to the mountains next year.